Check out this recipe from our co-founder Aashi as part of our Asian-inspired Thanksgiving theme this week! Easy to prepare, this masala fried potatoes recipe would make a delicious addition to any table. Aashi’s passion for cooking shines through — she’s both a skilled businesswoman and a great home cook!
Photo credit: Recipes Hubs
Masala fried potatoes
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and julienned into french fry strips approximately a 1/4-inch wide, or cubed
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and julienned into thin strips
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 to 1/2 tsp Indian red chili powder or cayenne (depending on desired spice preference)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet on high heat
- Add mustard seeds to oil and wait until the seeds start to split
- Reduce heat to medium and add cumin seeds, ginger and turmeric, stirring for 20-30 seconds or until fragrant
- Add potato and sauté until potatoes are half-cooked, about 10-15 minutes
- Salt to taste (potatoes typically require generous salting)
- Add chili powder, ground cumin and ground coriander and stir
- Let the potatoes cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until fully cooked. Stir only occasionally, allowing the potatoes to crisp on the the pan. Serve and enjoy!
Thank you, Aashi, for sharing this unique take on a popular Thanksgiving dish! For more innovative meals like this one, visit one of our local hosts around the world that you can book through Traveling Spoon!